SNACKS FOR YOUR EYES: 6000 kilometres through AFRICA

6000 kilometres through AFRICA

fish sandwich restaurant served off the boat in Istanbul
rest-stop over looking the great rift valley in Kenya
Masai-Mara village next to our safari camp
kids doing gymnastics on the beach in Zanzibar 
the bar at our hotel in Zanzibar
loading boats – Zanzibar
bicycle fish – Zanzibar
bartender in Nakonde a border-town between Zambia and Tanzania
rest-stop on the way to Livingstone from Lusaka – Zambia
shoe-shopping in Livingstone, Zambia
couple on the beach – Durban, South Africa
stranded ship off of Sheffield Beach up the coast from Durban, SA
village in the Drakensburg mountains between Durban and Jo'burg
back in Istanbul
Between July 5 and August 4 my girlfriend and I travelled from Nairobi, Kenya to Johannesburg, South Africa with a stop-over in Istanbul on either end. Except for our flight from Livingstone, Zambia to Johannesburg we travelled the majority of the 6000 kilometres overland on buses. The trip was an epic adventure although it wasn't always easy or pleasant. Below is our route: 


I decided to bring two cameras and 40 rolls of film. For black and white I brought my trusty Nikon FM-2 with a 35mm and 55mm lens. For color I brought a LOMO point and shoot camera that I purposefully chose for its size and the fact that it has a cheap plastic lens that captures high contrast and saturated color. It was a pleasure to have small sturdy and mechanical cameras that did not rely on electricity or computers. One of them was always by my side and I was able to get up close and personal to people who in general were not thrilled about the idea of being photographed.

To see the rest of the portfolio, click here.

No comments:

Copyright © SNACKS FOR YOUR EYES Urang-kurai